Server Consolidation Problem

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM
I'm in a pickle at my company.

We just merged with another development group and now we have 2 TFS servers.

One TFS server was TFS 2005(ServerA) and one is TFS 2008 (ServerB). We want to consolidate the 2 TFS servers into 1 TFS server(ServerA).

In order to begin the consolidation I knew I had to upgrade the TFS 2005 server to TFS 2008.

After finally getting approval to upgrade that server, which btw was in production(and the policy is to not upgrade a server that's in production) I thought I could use this tool to begin the process of migrating all of the contents of ServerB to ServerA.

I watched the how-to video in the forums section and it looked relatively easy. That video had to have smoke and mirrors because the tool just doesn't work for large servers.

The 2 TFS servers look this:
ServerA - 150 Gigs of Source code assetts (including binaries, graphic designer assets from Expression, etc)
ServerB - 240 Gigs of Source code assetts (including 3D rendering files)

These server sizes aren't that big for our company and between both servers we collectively have over 1000 users using the systems.

But now we DESPERATELY need to move all of the content from ServerB to ServerA, as the development group's budget has been significantly cut.

I looked at "TFS Data Manager" from One Pulse and I couldn't get that solution to work. http://www.onepulse.com/beta.aspx

I also looked at Kyrosoft's product (http://www.kyrosoft.com/Services_VSTS.htm) and that didn't work either.

And yet we have no official server consolidation strategy or solution from microsoft besides this tool.

I've talked with several people in the community and we desperately need a solution but no-one in the community knows of any "real" or "active" development projects underway to address this problem.

We all agreed that we need Microsoft to deliver a compelling solution to this problem and we need the solution YESTERDAY not at some far off point in the future.

So what is Microsoft going to do address this consolidation problem?

Can we atleast know of what vendors Microsoft is working with to provide real solutions?

I'm super frustrated and my management wants a solution ASAP.

Our bet on TFS is beginning to look like it was permature.

Help!
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2008 at 4:55 PM
What issues did you have to say "the tool just doesn't work for large servers."
Maybe we can help you work through them.

Thanks
Curtis
Aug 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM
The issues we ran into were all related to performance of the tool.

At about the 30 min mark the tool just hung and the log complained that there was network connectivity problems. The tool routinely spiked to 100% CPU and then the migration just stoped.

We've tried moving smaller loads say 30 Gigs and again we hit the 100% CPU issue.

What's the largest load this tool is tested against?
Aug 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I can't comment on what this tool is doing, but I've written others based on the TFS Migration and Synchronization Toolkit, and sometimes the problems aren't related to the size of the data being migrated, but are related to the number and types of actions and how the tool handles them.

Is there a particular file or action that the tool keeps failing on? Also, what is the size of your staging database and do you know how many changesets/actions you are trying to migrate?