Synchronization engine has crashed

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:17 AM
I get the Synchronization engine has crashed message everytime I try to migrate from one project to another project on the same server. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried on 2 different machines to run this and they both fail. Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Karl
Dec 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM
I just got the same error trying to move tasks from one project to another on the same server.

- Robert Beaubien
- Kool Software LLC
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Robert,

May I have a look of your configuration that defines the WIT migration session for moving the tasks? Also, the message flushed to the GUI of the current tool isn't very helpful to diagnose the problem. Could you please provide us with the trace log of this session?

Thanks,
Terry
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Terry,

I think this is the same Robert that you asked this of yesterday for the VC related problem. He was trying to help another user by noting that he had seen the same thing.

Bill

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:50 PM
To: Bill Essary
Subject: Re: Synchronization engine has crashed [tfstotfsmigration:41441]

Robert,

May I have a look of your configuration that defines the WIT migration session for moving the tasks? Also, the message flushed to the GUI of the current tool isn't very helpful to diagnose the problem. Could you please provide us with the trace log of this session?

Thanks,
Terry

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM
Bill, it seemed to me Robert was also having trouble migrating Work Items (tasks). If this is the case, we need the session trace for diagnosing the problem.

Robert, if you were having trouble with migrating Work Items, please share the corresponding session trace. Otherwise, please neglect my previous reply. We've already got your trace file.

Thanks,
Terry
Dec 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM
Yes, the same Robert, but this error does not produce a trace file.  It just keeps trying to start the process.
Dec 5, 2008 at 12:25 AM
Robert,

Here are more questions for you:
  1. After you clicked the "Start one time" or "Start mirror" button, did you see a running session being added to the "Migration Activity" tab? More specifically, I'd like to understand what you meant by "keeps trying to start the process".
  2. Were you trying to start a WIT session or VC session? I am asking this because these two types of sessions have different permission requirement.
  3. Please do the following: clear your Windows Event Log, restart the crashing session, then inspect the Event Log. If you see any errors there, please let us know what they are.
Thanks,
Terry
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Hi Terry,

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the latest release and am still having the same problem. I cleared the Event Log and re ran the migration (WI) and nothing is logged in the event log. It says:

Event Type    Description
SessionStart    Starting session.
SessionError    Synchronization engine has crashed.

And just keeps repeating...
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:18 AM
That is exactly what I am doing.  Trying to move/copy work items from one project to another on the same server.  Same exact error.  No trace file created.

- Robert Beaubien
- Kool Software LLC
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM
Karl and Robert,

Before we drill into detailed debugging, may I ask:
  • are you using the latest release of the tool? if not, which version?
  • does your migration service account, provided during installation, have proper permission on the server. Until the latest release, the account must be in the TFS Service Account group and have read/write access to the team project. (We've seen users not setting this permission requirement right and encountering similar crashing problems).
Thanks,
Terry
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Hi Terry,

Fair questoins to ask as I'm sure we'd all hate to spend time debugging something stupid :)

1) I'm using the latest version from the release tab (1.1)
2) I'm using my domain account to run the service and I'm a member of the TFS Aadmin group.

Any other questions, please let me know!

Cheers!
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:57 AM
1.  I am also using the latest version from the release tab.
2.  I have tried with both the TFSSetup account and my personal account, both of which have full access to the TFS server and are administrators on all machines and the domain.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Administrator permissions are not enough for WIT migraiton.  See my blog for a breif explaination.  http://blogs.msdn.com/curtisp/archive/2008/12/05/administrator-permissions-are-not-enough-for-wit-migration.aspx

Thanks
Curtis
Dec 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM
Bingo, once I added the correct security, it worked.  Thanks.  Now if we can just get the source code migration working <hint><wink>.  :-)

Just curious though, why is that security goup so super secret that it's not in the UI?

- Robert Beaubien
- Kool Software
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM
It's not "secret", you can see it in the UI, you just can add/remove members.  It's that way because 99.99% of the people who manipulate TFS permissions will never need to (and shouldn't) have service account permissions.  The security guy I just checked this with was surprised that you could do it even with TFSecurity.exe. 

Pei, is working with you on the VC migration right?

Thanks
Curtis
Dec 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM
I have not heard back from him after sending the trace and config files.  Hopefully he is on it. 

Thanx,

- Robert Beaubien
- Kool Software LLC
Dec 8, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Thanks for all your help - just tried again (after adding my account to the TFSService group) and it works a treat :) Many thanks (and I like the new installer!)

Cheers
Dec 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM
I added myself to the service accounts group on both servers and am still getting the crashed errors. I am running the latest version released on the 5th. My source server is Windows 2008 running SQL server 2008 and TFS 2008 sp1. Target server is Windows 2K3 with SQL 2K5 and TFS 2005 SP1
Dec 10, 2008 at 4:06 PM
If you are going to use yourself, you also have to use your account for the log on information for the TfsToTfs Migration Service under services.

- Robert Beaubien
- Kool Software LLC
Dec 10, 2008 at 4:09 PM
My domain account is running the tfs migration service if that is what you mean.
Dec 23, 2008 at 4:29 PM
Thank you for your help Curtis. I had ran into the exact same issue and the notes in your blog helped me get through it (and understand why it didn't work in the first place).

Cheers,
Maxim