TFS 2008 to TFS 2008 WIT migration failed

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Ok, I am trying to recover all of the WITs in our old 2008 TFS instance to a new instance on a new faster machine. But after I ran the sync it got to ~900 WI's and crashed. Now when I run the migration tool nothing else gets migrated. There are about 5000 Items left to migrate. Any suggestions on how to get the tool to finish the job?

Thanks,

Blair
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM
Blair,

It'll be helpful that you provide us with the trace log. You may find it under your migration tool installation directory. If you have trouble uploading a long trace log here, please send it to tfstotfs@microsoft.com.

I hope you made a backup of your old/new instances before using the tool. In that case, we can restart the process once the root cause of the crash is identified and fix. Otherwise, you may have to manually touch the migration tool database to delete some invalid entries there. It's dangerous and is the last thing I'd suggest you to do.

Thanks and look forward to the log file.
Terry
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM
Unfortunatly, I am in disaster recovery mode. Our TFS server crashed hard and left the system in a corrupted state and when we went back to look at our backups we found that they were corrupt also. I have looked at the trace log and nothing looks strange. My VC migration worked perfectly but when the WIT migration kicked off it worked fine and then just really stopped. I left it overnight and when I came back in it was still stuck at the same place. So my only option may be to delete the invalid entries. I emailed you the trace log.
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM
Blair,

I received the log file. Thanks! I will take a look of it after my current meeting. A quick glance of it: the wiql query for retrieving work items for migration is built with an incorrect high water mark (e.g. [System.ChangedDate] >= '2009-02-06 00:10:22Z'). This is why your migration session stops getting work items over.

Meanwhile, please allow me sometime to figure out the cause of the initial crash and a way to help you restart the session.

Thanks,
Terry
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM
No problem. Take your time any help is really appreciated.
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Terry,

Thanks for the help your hint that it was the highwater mark was right on. I recompiled the tool and started debugging it until I found where that value comes from. Then I changed that value and restarted the migration and it is working great.

Blair

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Blair,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to know that your migration session now proceeds.

Cheers,
Terry
Oct 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM

hi blair,

i am experiencing the same problem right now. work items migration says completed but there are no work items transfered from source server to destination server. can you share with me how you resolved it? what code did you change?

appreciate your help on this.

thanks!

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM

I’ve taken this offline with Ode and helped him resolve the problem.

What was blocking him? It’s either a bug or Ode’s initial configuration wasn’t right (I couldn’t get his initial configuration) that the first WIQL query sent to the source server has this condition [System.WorkItemType] = ‘’. The source server returned 0 Work Items in response to this query and consequently nothing was migrated.

We went through some other issues to clean up his environment. But the main fix was to set [System.WorkItemType]=’Bug’ for the Filter in the UI.

Also, the UI help text is really misleading. In case one needs to migrate all types of Work Items, simply leave that filter string empty. For advanced users, please think of the filter string as a WIQL query condition.

Terry

Sent: October-20-09 1:02 PM
To: Terry Yang
Subject: Re: TFS 2008 to TFS 2008 WIT migration failed [tfstotfsmigration:46392]

hi blair,

i am experiencing the same problem right now. work items migration says completed but there are no work items transfered from source server to destination server. can you share with me how you resolved it? what code did you change?

appreciate your help on this.

thanks!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com