Synchronization engine has crashed message for WIT only

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded the TFS to TFS Migration Tool v1.1.31205.1 Prerelease. Installed it on a server SERVER1 running TFS 2008 Sp1 (I have upgraded this server from TFS 2005 to TFS 2008 and this server hosts both the tier). I have another server SERVER2 on which I have TFS 2008 Sp1 App-Tier. I am trying to migrate one project from SERVER1 to SERVER2. I am able to migrate Version Control data successfully but the tool fails while migrating the WIT with error as "Synchronization engine has crashed ". Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM
The most common reason that WIT migration fails is that you dont have the correct permissions.  See this post for details http://blogs.msdn.com/curtisp/archive/2008/12/05/administrator-permissions-are-not-enough-for-wit-migration.aspx 

If thats not the issue, Terry will have to look at the contents of you "TfsToTfsMigrationTool-Trace.txt" file. You can find this file in the directoy that you installed the tool to.

Thanks
Curtis
Feb 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Hello Curtisp,

Thank you for your reply.
I have already confirmed the equired rights as per the post.
Today when I tried migrating WI from one project on SERVER1 to another project on same sever, it works fine. but again, while migratig from Server1 to Server2 it fails with same error as " Synchronization engine has crashed " I have also searched for "TfsToTfsMigrationTool-Trace.txt" under my installation directory in C:\program Files.... but no such file is available there.
Feb 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM
Have you checked on Server2 that the same permission requirement being satisfied? That's my first reaction to your crashing scenario. If not, please let me know. I will need to look into your problem closer.

Cheers,
Terry
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM
i have exactly same problem like this.

how did you solve this problem?

and i watched the video this(http://www.futurebluebadgers.com/tfsmigration/tfsmigrationvideo.html)

in this video, he used Active Directory Domain ... but i don't ..

do i have to use that?
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Hello,

Have you first verifed that your migration service account is in the "target" server's Service Group account? If not, please take a look of Curtis's post. Otherwise, we need the trace for investigation.

Thanks,
Terry
Apr 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM
yeah i already did that.... but it didn't work....

actually i have different domain and service account in each server... (ex.TFSSERVER1\TFSSERVICE, TFSSERVER2\TFSSERVICE)

so i did Curis's post to each server .. but it did not work..

and i really want to know that i have to use Active Directory Domain Controller?????

thanks,
tgkim
Apr 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM
how about if i make a work Item with different language for example.

in the manual video, he used Bug and Task

but , we made in our language (korean)

then how can i fix it?
May 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I had this issue and discovered that it was due to deleting the VC migration session before running the WIT migration (and attempting to link them).  I tried again and left the VC migration session.  This time it worked. 

Brett Keown (MSFT)

This post provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.