Re-Migrating project

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Hello,
 I came into a point where I need to re-migrate a project from one TFS instace to another. This is the second time I have to do this  for the same project. First time worked pretty well and all my changesets got the same date (migration date) and the common "(Migrated by TFS to TFS Migration Tool") commend appended.
 The problem is that now, when I try to re-migrate the project the tools seems not to see all the changesets previously migrated. Do yo know why would this be ? I am stuck here and can't seem to figure this out. Could anyone help me ?
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Make sure you are using the latest version of the tool.
Make sure you choose a unique empty path on the target server. (Otherwise files form the old migration will interfear)
Make sure you use a unique session name for each migration.(Otherwise the tool will pick up where it left off rather than re-migrate)

Let us know if you still have problems

Thanks
Curtis
Developer
Apr 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Hi,

Can you clarify your scenario? I see 2 possibilities:
1. Server1 migrate to server2, then server1 migrate to server3.
2. Server1 migrate to server2, then server2 migrate to server3.

For scenario 1, you should be able to migrate without any problems. For scenario2, on server2, all changesets that were previously migrated from server1 will carried the comment prefix (Migrated by TFS toTFS Migration Tool). These changesets won't be migrated to server3 as the migration tools will skip these changesets to avoid dead loop migration.

However, if you don't want to skip these changesets, you need to manually change your configuration file. Here is the procedure
1. Create a new migration session in the UI tool.
2. Go to your configuration file, find the migration session, add the following under session node
    <Session id="xxx" provider="xxx">
    xxx
        <Settings>
          <Setting name="MigrationChangeCommentModifier" value="(some meaningful string other than Migrated by TFS Migration Toolkit)"/>
        </Settings>
   </Session>
3. Start your migration session.

Thanks,
Pei
Apr 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM
Hello, 
 The scenario was indeed scenarion number 2.
 Thank you for your responses. The solution was exactly  the one 'gupei' mentioned above.