Synchronization Engine Crashing - Map field to another field?

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I ran into an issue, similar to the other Synchronization Engine Crashing problem, but my issue is that when we first started using TFS, we re-purposed some TFS fields (ie. Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Triage to be a field called Area).  Now that we have become more familar with TFS and have created our own custom fields properly, we want to un-purpose the fields we re-purposed by installing a "clean" version of TFS and migrate the work items from the "old" version to the "clean" version and map the re-purposed fields to the custom fields we created in the work item template.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?

Thanks,

Kevin Hogan

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

The TFS migration toolkit’s configuration supports field mapping, which should satisfy your needs. Unfortunately, there is no UI support of that part of config editing in the Tfs-to-Tfs Migration Tool. For now, you will have to hand-edit the configuration file generated by the Tfs-to-Tfs Migraiton Tool (assuming you are using it to migration your Work Items) and add the field mapping configuration to it.

The toolkit documentation on the Configuration Files discusses this topic in brief. The sample configuration that comes with the documentation (you may find it in the source code directory under your tool installation directory) covers the WorkItemType, Field and FieldValue mappings.

Cheers,

Terry

Sent: August-10-09 9:58 AM
To: Terry Yang
Subject: Synchronization Engine Crashing - Map field to another field? [tfstotfsmigration:65072]

I ran into an issue, similar to the other Synchronization Engine Crashing problem, but my issue is that when we first started using TFS, we re-purposed some TFS fields (ie. Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Triage to be a field called Area). Now that we have become more familar with TFS and have created our own custom fields properly, we want to un-purpose the fields we re-purposed by installing a "clean" version of TFS and migrate the work items from the "old" version to the "clean" version and map the re-purposed fields to the custom fields we created in the work item template.

Thanks,

Kevin Hogan

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Terry,

I have been trying to configure the file properly base upon the sample and the little bit of information from the documentation but have yet to get passed the synch. Issue.

Are you familiar with the mapping feature?

I attached the config file that I thought I properly edited.

Thanks,

Kevin Hogan

Kevin Hogan
Director, Special Projects
PurchasingNet, Inc. | 125 Half Mile Road | Red Bank, NJ 07701
Office 732.212.1500 ext. 3168
| Fax 732.212.1215

Introducing PNet Software. Modular, Web-based Procure-to-Pay solutions for mid- to large-sized companies. Learn more at www.PurchasingNet.com.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 2:06 PM
To: Kevin Hogan
Subject: Re: Synchronization Engine Crashing - Map field to another field? [tfstotfsmigration:65072]

The TFS migration toolkit’s configuration supports field mapping, which should satisfy your needs. Unfortunately, there is no UI support of that part of config editing in the Tfs-to-Tfs Migration Tool. For now, you will have to hand-edit the configuration file generated by the Tfs-to-Tfs Migraiton Tool (assuming you are using it to migration your Work Items) and add the field mapping configuration to it.

The toolkit documentation on the Configuration Files discusses this topic in brief. The sample configuration that comes with the documentation (you may find it in the source code directory under your tool installation directory) covers the WorkItemType, Field and FieldValue mappings.

Cheers,

Terry

Sent: August-10-09 9:58 AM
To: Terry Yang
Subject: Synchronization Engine Crashing - Map field to another field? [tfstotfsmigration:65072]

I ran into an issue, similar to the other Synchronization Engine Crashing problem, but my issue is that when we first started using TFS, we re-purposed some TFS fields (ie. Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Triage to be a field called Area). Now that we have become more familar with TFS and have created our own custom fields properly, we want to un-purpose the fields we re-purposed by installing a "clean" version of TFS and migrate the work items from the "old" version to the "clean" version and map the re-purposed fields to the custom fields we created in the work item template.

Thanks,

Kevin Hogan

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Kevin,

Could you please re-send your email with the attachment to teyang@microsoft.com?

Thanks,

Terry