Error in duplicate field names

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I am migrating data from a TFS 2005 server to a TFS 2008 server.  I have been able to migrate to source code after applying all patches but I am now having trouble move the WIs.  The system thinks I am trying to use a field in more than one work item type.  I have been migrating data from two different 2005 servers so this can happen.  This is the error I am receiving.

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionValidationException: Field name 'Level of Control' is used by the field 'BAH.ConfigItem.LevelOfControl', so it cannot be used by the field 'BAH.ConfigItem.LOC'.    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ImporterFields..ctor(ImporterData sharedData, XmlNodeList fieldNodes)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WITImporter.ImportFieldDefinitions(XmlElement root)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WITImporter.Translate(XmlElement element)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportValidateWorkItemTypeInternal(Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ActionType action)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportValidateWorkItemType(Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ActionType action)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportWorkItemType(WorkItemStore ws, Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ImportEventHandler handler)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemTypeCollection.Import(XmlElement definitionElement)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.TfsMigrationWorkItemStore.SyncWorkItemTypes(Project p)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.TfsMigrationWorkItemStore.SynchronizeMetadata(Project project)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.SyncProcess.SynchronizeMetadata()    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.SyncProcess.ItemsSyncPass(IEnumerable`1 items)    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.SyncProcess.SinglePass()    
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.WorkItemTrackingSession.Synchronize(SystemType primarySystem)

The problem is that I do not have a field named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC in the destination server.  I do on the source system and I have tried to remap it to another field and even exclude it from the migration.  On the destination system I have fields named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC2 and BAH.ConfigirItem.LevelOfControl.  Here is the config file I am using:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Migration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Providers>
    <Provider id="TFSProvider">
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.Vsts.Rangers.Migration.TfsToTfs.TfsProviderFactory, TfsToTfsAdaptor, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
    <Provider id="SQLReport">
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.SQLReportFactory, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
    <Provider id="TfsLinkProvider">
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Linking.TfsLinkingEngineFactory, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Linking, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
  </Providers>
  <Servers>
    <Tfs id="localhost">
      <Server>http://localhost:8080/</Server>
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-tfs08">
      <Server>http://lxpk-tfs08:8080/</Server>
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-vstfs">
      <Server>http://lxpk-vstfs:8080/</Server>
    </Tfs>
  </Servers>
  <Settings>
    <Setting name="ShowMethodDetails" value="true" />
  </Settings>
  <VC>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
      <Session id="VCSession_2009_09_21_15_53_08_082" provider="TFSProvider">
        <Settings />
        <Mappings>
          <Mapping src="$/MarineNet-Test1" tgt="$/SCR.MarineNet.4" />
        </Mappings>
        <Tfs server="lxpk-vstfs">
          <Workspace>TFS2TFSSource_2009_09_21_15_53_08_082</Workspace>
          <WorkspaceRoot>D:\TfsMigrtData\Source2009_09_21_15_53_08_082</WorkspaceRoot>
        </Tfs>
        <Source>
          <Tfs server="lxpk-tfs08">
            <Workspace>TFS2TFSDest_2009_09_21_15_53_08_082</Workspace>
            <WorkspaceRoot>D:\TfsMigrtData\Dest2009_09_21_15_53_08_082</WorkspaceRoot>
          </Tfs>
        </Source>
        <EventSinks />
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
  </VC>
  <WIT>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
      <Session id="MarineNet_WIT">
        <Settings />
        <Tfs server="lxpk-vstfs" fieldForm="Reference">
          <Project>SCR.MarineNet.4</Project>

</Tfs>
        <Source>
          <Tfs server="lxpk-tfs08" fieldForm="Reference">
            <Project>MarineNet-Test1</Project>

</Tfs>
        </Source>
        <FastQueue />
        <SlowQueue />
        <WorkItemTypes>
	  <WorkItemType tfs="Configuration Item" other="Configuration Item" fieldMap="CIMap" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Bug" other="Bug" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Engineering Change Request" other="Engineering Change Request" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Task" other="Task" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Requirement" other="Requirement" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Risk" other="Risk" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Scenario" other="Scenario" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Quality of Service Requirement" other="Quality of Service Requirement" />
        </WorkItemTypes>
        <Policies>
           <FieldConflict master="tfs" reaction="master" />
        </Policies>
        <EventSinks />
        <Linking>
          <Engine provider="TfsLinkProvider" />
          <VersionControl session="VCSession_2009_09_21_15_53_08_082" />
        </Linking>
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
    <FieldMaps>
      <FieldMap name="CIMap">
         <Field tfsName="BAH.ConfigItem.LOC2" otherName="BAH.ConfigItem.LOC" />
         <Field tfsName="LOC2" otherName="Level of Control" />
         <!-- Field tfsName="BAH.ConfigItem.LOC2" otherName="Level of Control" -->
         <!-- Field tfsName="Level of Control" otherName="BAH.ConfigItem.LOC" -->
         <Exclude field="BAH.ConfigItem.LevelOfControl" system="tfs" />
         <Exclude field="Level of Control" system="other" />
         <Exclude field="Level of Control" system="tfs" />
         <Exclude field="BAH.ConfigItem.LOC" system="other" />
      </FieldMap>
    </FieldMaps>
    <ValueMaps />
  </WIT>
  <Sql>
    <ConnectionString>server=lxpk-tfs08\tfs08;Integrated Security=SSPI</ConnectionString>
    <Database>TfsMigration</Database>
    <Server>lxpk-tfs08\tfs08</Server>
  </Sql>
</Migration>

I have tried many different things in the config file but still get the same error.

Anyone have any ideas?  I need to get this data migrated.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Just to clarify.  The title "Level of Control" appears on the field BAH.ConfigItem.LOC on the source system and BAH.ConfigItem.LevelOfControl on the destination system.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Source and Destination servers is backwards in the config file.  The UI, XML, and documentation all conflict with each other.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Burp,

The ProvisionValidationException is thrown when the migration tool syncs Work Item Type Definition from the source system to the target. It happens before the actually Work Item migration phase, during which the field mapping in the configuration is used.

The SyncWorkItemTypes implementation simply imports a WITD document, exported from source, to the target system in this version of the tool. If you are certain that the two WITDs are identical other than the three fields mentioned in the stack trace below, one workaround I can think of is to actually disable WorkItemType synchronization. I’ve attached the configuration schema for your reference and in-lined a sample in your configuration.

Thanks,

Terry

Sent: September-23-09 10:27 AM
To: Terry Yang
Subject: Error in duplicate field names [tfstotfsmigration:69884]

I am migrating data from a TFS 2005 server to a TFS 2008 server. I have been able to migrate to source code after applying all patches but I am now having trouble move the WIs. The system thinks I am trying to use a field in more than one work item type. I have been migrating data from two different 2005 servers so this can happen. This is the error I am receiving.

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionValidationException: Field name 'Level of Control' is used by the field 'BAH.ConfigItem.LevelOfControl', so it cannot be used by the field 'BAH.ConfigItem.LOC'.
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ImporterFields..ctor(ImporterData sharedData, XmlNodeList fieldNodes)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WITImporter.ImportFieldDefinitions(XmlElement root)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.WITImporter.Translate(XmlElement element)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportValidateWorkItemTypeInternal(Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ActionType action)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportValidateWorkItemType(Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ActionType action)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportWorkItemType(WorkItemStore ws, Int32 projectId, String methodologyName, XmlElement typeElement, ImportEventHandler handler)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemTypeCollection.Import(XmlElement definitionElement)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.TfsMigrationWorkItemStore.SyncWorkItemTypes(Project p)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.TfsMigrationWorkItemStore.SynchronizeMetadata(Project project)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.SyncProcess.SynchronizeMetadata()
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.Wit.SyncProcess.ItemsSyncPass(IEnumerable`1 items)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.WorkItemTrackingSession.Synchronize(SystemType primarySystem)

The problem is that I do not have a field named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC in the destination server. I do on the source system and I have tried to remap it to another field and even exclude it from the migration. On the destination system I have fields named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC2 and BAH.ConfigirItem.LevelOfControl. Here is the config file I am using:

<Migration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Providers>
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.Vsts.Rangers.Migration.TfsToTfs.TfsProviderFactory, TfsToTfsAdaptor, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit.SQLReportFactory, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Toolkit, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
      <AssemblyQualifiedName>Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Linking.TfsLinkingEngineFactory, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Migration.Linking, Version=1.1.31205.01, Culture=neutral</AssemblyQualifiedName>
    </Provider>
  </Providers>
  <Servers>
    <Tfs id="localhost">
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-tfs08">
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-vstfs">
    </Tfs>
  </Servers>
  <Settings>
  </Settings>
  <VC>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
        <Settings />
        <Mappings>
        </Mappings>
        </Tfs>
        <Source>
          </Tfs>
        </Source>
        <EventSinks />
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
  </VC>
  <WIT>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
        <Settings />

</Tfs>
        <Source>

<MetadataSynchronization>
  <IgnoredTypes>
    <Name value=”Configuration Item”>
  </IgnoredTypes>
</MetadataSynchronization>

</Tfs>
        </Source>
        <FastQueue />
        <SlowQueue />
        <WorkItemTypes>
          <WorkItemType tfs="Configuration Item" other="Configuration Item" fieldMap="CIMap" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Engineering Change Request" other="Engineering Change Request" />
          <WorkItemType tfs="Quality of Service Requirement" other="Quality of Service Requirement" />
        </WorkItemTypes>
        <Policies>
        </Policies>
        <EventSinks />
        <Linking>
        </Linking>
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
    <FieldMaps>
      <FieldMap name="CIMap">
      </FieldMap>
    </FieldMaps>
    <ValueMaps />
  </WIT>
  <Sql>
    <ConnectionString>server=lxpk-tfs08\tfs08;Integrated Security=SSPI</ConnectionString>
  </Sql>
</Migration>

I have tried many different things in the config file but still get the same error.

Anyone have any ideas? I need to get this data migrated.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM

It seems that the attachment was ripped off by the system. You can still find it in the source code, under “Core/Toolkit/Configuration/Schema.xsd”.

Sent: September-23-09 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: Error in duplicate field names [tfstotfsmigration:69884]

Burp,

The ProvisionValidationException is thrown when the migration tool syncs Work Item Type Definition from the source system to the target. It happens before the actually Work Item migration phase, during which the field mapping in the configuration is used.

The SyncWorkItemTypes implementation simply imports a WITD document, exported from source, to the target system in this version of the tool. If you are certain that the two WITDs are identical other than the three fields mentioned in the stack trace below, one workaround I can think of is to actually disable WorkItemType synchronization. I’ve attached the configuration schema for your reference and in-lined a sample in your configuration.

Thanks,

Terry

Sent: September-23-09 10:27 AM
Subject: Error in duplicate field names [tfstotfsmigration:69884]

I am migrating data from a TFS 2005 server to a TFS 2008 server. I have been able to migrate to source code after applying all patches but I am now having trouble move the WIs. The system thinks I am trying to use a field in more than one work item type. I have been migrating data from two different 2005 servers so this can happen. This is the error I am receiving.

The problem is that I do not have a field named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC in the destination server. I do on the source system and I have tried to remap it to another field and even exclude it from the migration. On the destination system I have fields named BAH.ConfigItem.LOC2 and BAH.ConfigirItem.LevelOfControl. Here is the config file I am using:

<Providers>
    </Provider>
    </Provider>
    </Provider>
  </Providers>
  <Servers>
    <Tfs id="localhost">
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-tfs08">
    </Tfs>
    <Tfs id="lxpk-vstfs">
    </Tfs>
  </Servers>
  <Settings>
  </Settings>
  <VC>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
        <Settings />
        <Mappings>
        </Mappings>
        </Tfs>
        <Source>
          </Tfs>
        </Source>
        <EventSinks />
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
  </VC>
  <WIT>
    <Settings />
    <Sessions>
        <Settings />

</Tfs>
        <Source>

<MetadataSynchronization>
  <IgnoredTypes>
    <Name value=”Configuration Item”>
  </IgnoredTypes>
</MetadataSynchronization>

</Tfs>
        </Source>
        <FastQueue />
        <SlowQueue />
        <WorkItemTypes>
        </WorkItemTypes>
        <Policies>
        </Policies>
        <EventSinks />
        <Linking>
        </Linking>
      </Session>
    </Sessions>
    <FieldMaps>
      <FieldMap name="CIMap">
      </FieldMap>
    </FieldMaps>
    <ValueMaps />
  </WIT>
  <Sql>
  </Sql>
</Migration>

Anyone have any ideas? I need to get this data migrated.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstotfsmigration@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com