Work item history migration

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Hi,

When we do TFS to TFS migration using the Migration tool available in the codeplex, what happens to the dates on the history record in the history tab? will they all be changed to the migration date? I haven't tried it yet but i am guessing it should not changed to the migration date otherwise it will not make any sense to have the history. I'd love to hear it from people who have tried it.

Thanks,

Jyapu

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Hello,

Yes, the dates in the history record will all be changed to the migration date.  That is the "time compression" problem and it will impact any trend based reports you try to create on migrated data.  That is what limitation #3 on the home page is describing.

The value of preserving history despite that limitation is that you can still see what changed from revision to revision in the work item record.

If you are thinking about migrating to TFS, but don’t know where to start, then check out the Migration Guidance Document on the TFS Integration Platform CodePlex project page. This document outlines many of the common scenarios for migrating data into TFS and it provides recommended options for each scenario.

The best place to obtain support for Team Foundation Server Migration and Integration questions in general is in this new forum:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsintegration.

Bill